History of Aalborg Congress and Culture Centre
The first hall is build with the purpose to host the North Jutland Exhibition. At the same time, The Aalborg Tower (Aalborgtårnet) is raised as a landmark for the hall as well as for the exhibition, which turns out a tremendous success. Audiences flock - also for later events - and in the next 8 years, the hall has reached 350,000 visitors.
Denmark is an occupied territory, and the hall is used for quartering of German soldiers. On January 3rd Aalborghallen burns down over two hours.
The City Council of Aalborg decides to re-build Aalborghallen (later Aalborg Congress & Culture Centre), which is estimated at DKK.9 million.
The building activity is postponed several times due to material shortages as a result of the War, but in March 1949, the building activity finally begins.
Aalborghallen, whose costs of DKK.16 million, is equivalent to one year's taxation in the municipality, opens on January 15th. Foreign Minister of that time, Ole Bjorn Kraft said in his opening speech of Scandinavia's largest meeting-hall: "Even Copenhagen has reason to rub its eyes. Aalborg has again shown the way".
Europahallen opens, and simultaneously the name is changed from Aalborghallen to Aalborg Congress and Culture Centre.
In the spring of 2002, a major extension and renovation is started with a total budget of DKK.27.5 million. The largest separate project was to build together Aalborghallen and Europahallen including a renovation of the centre's forecourt.
The project also included an extension of Restaurant Papegøjehaven and a renovation of Aalborg Congress & Culture Centre's meeting rooms on the first floor.
Equally in 2002, the new congress hotel, Quality Hotel Aalborg, was built in connection to Aalborg Congress & Culture Centre. The building had a total value of more than DKK.100 million, and included a four-star, six-storeyed hotel with 168 double rooms incl. 5 suites.
Aalborg Congress & Culture Centre celebrates its jubilee.